6.04.2008

Cake Decorating

When I was younger I loved helping my mom decorate cakes - she used to work at a bakery so she knew what she was doing. When I was in college, my mom bought me a decorating kit and tried to buy a Wilton class through Michaels, but it didn't work out. So I have been taking them the past few months. I have finished course 1 and 2, but 3 and the fondant course will have to wait until at least July because of the course schedule. But I wanted to share the cakes that I made for my classes.

The first three here are from course 1. I learned how to make buttercream icing, clown cupcakes, using several tips to make leaves and flowers, and a rose.






















The next ones are from course two, and this time we learned to make royal icing (for the flowers) and color flow (for the bird and butterfly - it's how you can make anything on top of a cake from a picture - like spongebob or dora or something from a coloring book). And I learned a new rose that I don't like as much and a bunch of flowers out of royal icing, and also the basketweave technique. I hadn't expected to enjoy that, but I really had fun with it.



And here are some cupcakes I made for my friends' baby shower - they are rattles (I can't remember what my mom thought they were, but she was way off...)

1 comments:

tonksfam said...

That's amazing! You make me want to check out our Michaels and see what I can learn :) You're going to be such a "cool mom" now that you can do this! Not that you weren't before, of course, but every mom has to have a weird amazing talent, right?