1.01.2009

Basic Western Canon

This summer, my brother sent several people an email containing the Basic Western Canon and highlighted all of the books he has read throughout his life. He asked anyone interested to highlight the ones we have read and send him a copy back. I did, and it has been great going through the list and picking out more to read. There are many books there that I have wanted to read or heard about and sound good, and others that are just considered very important. Anyway, as the year was ending, I decided to update the list and send it back to him and figured why not post it here - not the list, just the ones I've read (the original list to choose from has more than 500 books).

Aesop's Fables, by Aesop
** Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott
** Emma, by Jane Austen
** Persuasion, by Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
** Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen
** Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
** My Antonia, by Willa Cather
** O Pioneers!, by Willa Cather
The Great Gatsby, by F Scott Fitzgerald
The Diary of Anne Frank, by Anne Frank
The Gift of the Magi, by O Henry
The Call of the Wild, by Jack London
Gone With the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell
Macbeth, by Shakespeare
Romeo and Juliet, by Shakespeare
The Merchant of Venice, by Shakespeare
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, by Mark Twain
The Time Machine, by H G Wells

** the starred books are the ones I have read off the list this year, and the rest are the ones I highlighted as soon as he sent it....BUT some of the other books I read this year that I really enjoyed were: Dracula (not as scary as I had anticipated), Les Miserables (learned more than I ever wanted to know about French history & most of it was pretty interesting....you don't even know a sewer system until you read that), The Historian (another vampire book, more exciting than Dracula), and of course the novels that I love by my favorite authors: Ann B Ross, Mary Higgins Clark, Jan Karon, and Joanne Fluke. Is anyone looking for clean and entertaining novels? I would recommend these 4 authors to anyone.

4 comments:

Sarah Ruth Ritchie said...

Missy, for some reason when I go to your blog... there is all of this text (I think it is in code) on the top of your blog and then the text is all really wide below the top bar... I think I know how to fix this though... Do you know if I am the only one who sees it this way? If so, it may just be something that I need to fix with my computer?...

tonksfam said...

Great job! You're only missing two Jane Austin books, and then you can check her off your list of authors read :) The last two are probably close to my favorites right now.

I was running out of authors, and I haven't read any of those four you listed. Thanks for giving me a new place to start :) I count it as my "continuing education" since I'm done with school.

Missy! said...

Sarah, I don't know...no one else has ever said anything about it. I use a bunch of different computers and haven't had the problem myself. Let me know if there's something I should do.

Sarah Ruth Ritchie said...

MUCH BETTER! I didn't know you were a reader... that is impressive. Way to go!