6.29.2009

This is Getting Ridiculous

FYI- This is going to be a bit of a ranting post, so please forgive me; if your time is not worth reading about someone else's ranting, I won't feel bad if you hit the back button on your browser now. Seriously...I wouldn't ever know you did it, and it won't hurt my feelings one bit. Here goes...

James has not been paid by the Army since March. MARCH!! Can you even believe that?! We didn't realize it for a little while, since we have direct deposit and somehow about a year ago, we no longer get a hard copy of his checkstubs (but that's another rant for another time). Here's the deal: at the end of May/first couple days of June, I was looking at some financial stuff and realized that I hadn't paid tithing on our Army checks in May and April, so I went online to look at the paystub and noticed that WE DIDN'T GET PAID!!!! How does that even happen? So I told James and he called the guy you call about these things, since the Army is all about the chain-of-command, and he said he'd take care of it.

Well, James also mentioned the problem when he was in Boise for drill a couple days later, to a couple of Major's. That may not mean much to you, but being a Major is a pretty high (the rank is O4, so they have some pull when it comes to stuff like pay). And supposedly, pay problems are a BIG deal in the Army, but apparently not to the 4 people that James has contacted. He was told to give it a week and a half by one guy, and then to contact him. Well, it's been three, and here's the kicker - James doesn't have his contact information. I know, I know, it won't be too hard to get it, just call the sargeant that is involved and get the number from him....I would think that the captain who has been trying to recruit James to a special program would feel like it would be a good idea to make sure the pay goes through would be an added incentive to sign up for what he's offering, but no.

So my big idea came to me one night as we were getting ready for bed. I suggested that I contact the lady in Lewiston who is the family support person; she would know who to talk to, and I'm sure she wouldn't mind helping me out. James said it's not a good idea, since she works across the hall from a colonel (2 ranks above the majors), and so many people would get into trouble. We are not out for blood here, just the money that's due. (Did I mention that our life insurance is taken directly from our paycheck? So that hasn't been paid, either. I had to write a check for that from our savings to cover an expense that I've never had to worry about before.) I told James I would wait another week before contacting this magical source, and I did. That great day came today. I was really excited, thinking that we would be rolling in the money, until Wednesday comes and the rent is due. So I got up and ate breakfast, watching the clock and trying to decide if she goes to work as early as the Army personnel (being a civilian working at the armory, it's a valid question), and finally made the call directly to her line.

But a man answered, and it sounded like he was speaking Spanish. So I asked for her, and was put on hold for 3 or 4 minutes. Really; this is not an exaggeration. He finally came back on and said she's out of the office, and it may be a vacation for the rest of the week - he didn't know. NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!! I had no idea who he was, so I just left my name and number and said I had a question for her. I was devastated. Everything I was hoping for disappeared. So it's back to the waiting game. James has again contacted the same 4 people that he has approached before, and I am waiting until tomorrow to see if she is really on vacation. If so, I am just going to ask my question of whoever is on the phone and see if they can refer me to someone who can get the problem solved.

If worse comes to worst, does anyone know if Legal Aid is willing to take on the Army National Guard??

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Ask Brandon Ritchie, he's working for them at the moment.
Man imagine taking them on?
That'd be awesome. LOL
Maybe not.
Sorry man I hope things get caught up soon.
That really sucks.

Sarah Ruth Ritchie said...

I hate you tell you this but Legal Aid actually couldn't take them on. For one the military has a their own court system and I can almost guarantee they would make you go through that system. Also Legal Aid technically can't do any sort of personal injury claims including non-payment. I am pretty sure that if you really had to the military provides free lawyers to all enlisted men, but it is very unlikely you will need to do that. I would just call the person and take care of it that way.

Sarah Ruth Ritchie said...

P.S.- That was Brandon.

Sun said...

Wow. That just sucks. I wish I had some sort of advice for you but I'm at a loss.

Nick and Erika said...

I saw your blog from the Ritchie's. I am an active duty military wife and we have been forgotten when it comes to payday a few times. I don't know your exact situation but there is something called the Navy Marine Corp Relief that helps with situations like this. I don't know if the National Guard has that, but I also know that if you are in the military, you cannot sue them or take legal action against them because you are government property. Don't know if that helps, but you should talk to someone in personnel.

Super Angie said...

What a drag! That sounds like something out of an episode of The Unit... Good luck!!!

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

Any news yet?