2.25.2010

How Do You Decide?

What makes you decide when you need to take your kid(s) in to see the doctor? Maiby wasn't feeling well at the end of last week, and I think she's a lot better, with just a small lingering cough now and then throughout the day - basically I don't think we need to worry about it. BUT other people are telling me that I should take her in. She never had a fever higher than 99, is still pretty happy all day even without naps, and snot is no longer running out of her nose constantly. Would you take her in? What is the criteria you use to decide?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm not a doctor so I don't think you should do what I say, and I'm not around to hear or be with Maiby so I don't really know, with that said, from what you've told me, I wouldn't go to the doctor.
I take my kids if their fever is high and if their waking up at night cause of a cough and it's pretty congested and bad, if they're playing with their ear, earache or complain of a sore throat then I take them straight away.
If they're not playing or eating properly and lethargic.
But my kids haven't been really sick much so I might not be a good judge either.
I don't think this helped at all.

Sun said...

I wouldn't take her in. It sounds like she's on the mend.

I only take my kids in if
-they have a really gooey nose for more than a week and it doesn't seem to be getting better
- they are having a hard time breathing
- I can't keep their fevers down with medications or warm baths
- I can't keep them hydrated
- they have that distinct strep smell or excessive drooling
- there is drainage coming out of their ears. (Riley has tubes so infections drain and Charlie has never had an ear infection.)

Other than those things we mostly just wait it out.

Fab Five said...

I usually wait it out and if they get any worse, gradually or suddenly, that's when I take them in.

Great job on the big girl bed! Every time I see her she looks older! She's definitely a little girl and not a toddler.