3.31.2010

SAHM's ROCK!

I just finished reading Dr. Laura's new book, In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms, and it is awesome!!  James and I made the decision before we got married that once we had kids, I would stay home, and we have been blessed to be able to do that.  But it's not always easy (as I'm sure you all know), and it's great to hear other people sing the praises of an often put-down way of life. 

I love being able to experience Maiby's life first-hand, and not have a day care worker, family member, or friend tell me the cute things she did that day.  On Saturday, we were hanging out at home and just enjoying spending time together.  James and I were on the couch talking and Maiby was playing with her toys.  One of her new favorite things is her 'list' - a small, 25-cent spiral notebook.  She is always drawing in it.  While we sat on the couch, Maiby came up and asked James if he wanted some soup (also a game she really enjoys, but that's another story), and when he said yes, she make a mark on her list.  She kept asking if he wanted something else and would make a mark each time he said yes.  Then she turned to me and started taking my order. 

If that food had been truly ordered at a restaurant, we would've ended up with some interesting combinations - soup, cornbread, chowder, sandwiches, cookies, and more (unfortunately, I was told that milkshakes were not an option).  It was so great, and without experiencing that first-hand, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as I do.

Read this book - if I could afford it, I would buy one for all the wonderful women in my life, but as it is, I got mine from the library, and the book is still terrific.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Alright.
I'll read it.

T3 said...

I like Dr. Laura. I just finished reading Proper Care & Feeding of Marriage. Thanks for letting us know about her new book, I'll see if our Library has it.

Adam & Rachel said...

I love Dr Laura. My sister was telling me about the book a few months ago. Thanks for reminding me, I was meaning to get my hands on it! I'm so happy for you and James and that you can be home with the children. I never realized HOW HARD staying home was, but it is so worth it. Every day Spencer is getting more fun. He laughed for the first time yesterday...more than just a smile and a grunt but a full on giggle and it made my entire day! I then spent the next several hours trying to make him laugh again...that boy has me wrapped around his little finger!