4.29.2008

Help for James

Hi. A lot of people have been asking me for James' address because they want to send him something, and they also ask what he needs or wants that isn't available in Afghanistan. I talked to him this morning and he asked me to try to send some soccer balls and volleyballs and writing instruments (pens/markers) so they can give them out to the kids in the local areas. He said there is 1 ball to every 200 or so kids in the location he is currently serving, and past efforts to give the gifts to the schools (like paper and other school supplies) have been sold by the principals and directors. But he said if the Army guys show up with a bunch of balls and there are a ton of kids outside, they can just hand them directly to the kids if the products haven't been sent through the Army - at least that's what I understood him to say.

So I have decided, at James' request, to try to collect as many balls and pens and things to send over to James and then his unit can distribute the things out. If any of you are interested in helping, let me know what you want to do. I can send you James' address by email if you want to send something directly to him, or if you have another idea let me know.

2 comments:

Super Angie said...

What a great idea!!!! When we get downstates I will definitely go to Wal-Mart and get some soccer balls. I'll probably send a little care package before then, but I will keep my eye out for soccer balls in a few weeks.

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

Yay! I've missed your blog! Maiby is getting so big; I LOVE the photo shoot! If you would send me an email with James' address, I will buy some soccer balls and other care package things to send to him. My lil' brother spent a year over there, and since he's been home I've really missed my little routine with the post office! Thanks Missy! :)