11.14.2009

Mint Crinkles

Obviously I messed up the name in the last post, BUT the cookies are pretty good.

3/4 cup finely chopped layered chocolate mint candies (about 24) - I used Andes mints

1/3 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 c flour


extra mints for the tops, chopped (I think I used 12 or so, but next time I would use a few more, probably about 15-17)


In a heavy small saucepan, heat and stir the 3/4 c chopped mints until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and cool about 15 minutes.

In a large bowl, beat shortening with an electric mixer on med to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt; beat until well combined. Beat in cooled chocolate, eggs, and vanilla.** Beat or stir in the flour. Cover and chill 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.

(** So my bowl is kept in a cupboard that stays really cold, and it was still cold when I was using it, and it made the chocolate get hard pretty fast when I added it, so some of the cookies had big chunks of chocolate when I was rolling them into balls - just something to watch out for)

Preheat oven to 350. Roll into small balls, about 1 1/4". Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, or until edges are set (the tops should crackle - hence the name). Sprinkle a few pieces of the remaining mints on top of each cookie and pop them back in the oven for 1 minute. Cool on wire racks. Makes about 36 cookies (this is pretty accurate - I ended up with 33).

Store between layers of wax paper in tightly covered container. Store at room temp 24 hours or freeze up to 3 months.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Roxy said...

YUM! I really wish I would have remembered before 6:30! The sad part is I even have it written on my white board. I think the problem was Dallas...he came and got me from class and wanted to go get movie snacks for movie night.

Ashley said...

I tried some at super Saturday, those were great! I love mint in anything

Vinyl Masterpiece said...

that looks yummy. I love mint and I love cookies!

Sarah Ruth Ritchie said...

These cookies were truly AMAZING! You brought some to Super Saturday, right? If they were the ones there, they were incredible. Way to go Missy!